Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Is life weirder than dreams?

Last night I dreamed that I was at some sort of camp. What was distinctive about this camp is that at dinner, we were told that the only edible thing was the shrimp sandwiches. But then, when we got to the food, the room was completely dark, but it was still possible to make out that the only food was barrel after barrel of olives.

So, I guess, instead of eating, we decided to take a washroom break. The washroom was located about 100 meters from the main building, and people would sprint to and from it in terror. I couldn't figure it out. But, then, I did figure it out. Just off the path to the washroom was a live bear. Actually, 3 live bears, but 2 were babies. As people ran from the washroom, they would jump at them, but, luckily, the small slope between their location and the path seemed to give them trouble, so no one was eaten.

Then, as I further observed the situation, there was a large box beside the bear the had a picture of the bear on the side and writing that said "Security bears for hire". So, the impression I got is that this camp had specifically hired a bear to eat children who have to use the bathroom. The dream continued, and eventually, somehow, I was chillin' out with the bear. Well, actually, by this point I'd realized it wasn't a bear at all, but a guy in a bear suit. The baby bears were real though, which made it seem like a risky job for him. When I asked him how much he made, he said $100 a day. That seemed like a pretty sweet pay for hanging out in a bear suit trying to make campers pee their pants. Then I woke up, but I'm still thinking of seeing if such a job exists, and if so, applying for it. If not, maybe the point of the dream was that I'm supposed to start such a company.

My waking life is often as strange as fake-bear dreams. I was in the store today and heard Justin Bieber playing. After a second, I realized it was a cell phone, but could not seen any teenyboppers around, so wasn't sure where it could be coming from. A few seconds later, my question was resolved as a middle aged Asian man answered his phone. I thought maybe it could have been a trick played on him by someone cruel, but, if it was, he was quite skilled at playing it off, because there was not an ounce of shame or embarrassment in his face. Luckily, he was not wearing a bear suit or I would have feared for my mental health.

Happy song: The Show by Lenka. Once I was sad and Yelsel happened to be playing it, then I wasn't so sad. That seems like the very definition of a happy song. The only concern is that I'm not certain that them message of the song isn't that life is actually one big reality TV show. When Survivor was still at the height of its fame, I had a dream I was the likable one. You know, the one that all the fans like but will never win because they're too nice. I'm afraid if life is actually a reality TV show, I wouldn't fare so well, because I try to be nice, but like most humans, I'm human. If this is a reality TV show, I think I'll try to get in good with the editors, because that's the real key. Other than the series of reality show concerns arising from listening to it, it's definitely a happy song.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I think you should start embedding youtube videos of your happy song of the day.
    I feel like I could get to know why they make you so happy with audio/video.

    ReplyDelete