Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Blah

Today I woke up in an awful mood. This wasn't completely bad, because it gave me a chance to note that I couldn't remember the last time I was in such a bad mood, which says something good about my mood lately. However, having mainly been in a neutral to good mood for most days in recent memory, I've forgotten how to cope with such a global sense of blah. This was not improved when I went to take my road test for my drivers license, the sole reason for me rushing home to Cambridge last night, and found out somehow that my booking had been lost in the internet. This is probably Facebooks fault. This further entrenched me in my bad mood.

When I returned home from my not road test, I decided that my quest for the day was to not give into my bad mood. It's just a state of mind, and since I am my mind, I should control that shit. So, I put on some excessively happy music and started dancing like a crazy person. Which helped briefly, until I decided I also needed water and tried to combine the two. Take note, nearly choking to death doesn't beat bad moods.

Later, I decided that I should go for a walk by the river (this is a river in my home town, so not as elusive as the BC rivers), because water always cheers me up. Then my iPod ran out of batteries, which always spells tragedy for me. But, despite that, I did feel a little better at the water. I thought of things that make me happy, like delicious treats and friends that dance a lot. Feeling good, I decided to walk back home. Then, all my mood reparations were stripped away by an old man arguing with another old man about the speed of his scooter. As I passed, they said something inaudible, then I heard the one say, "Like you could have a woman like that, you old cripple. She does have nice hair though." At which point I went back to my bad mood after vomiting in my mouth a little bit. This is one of the many reasons that I never intend on moving back to this city.

This was the point where it was clear to me that the bad mood was not the result of my state of mind, but of an evil demon that was trying to kill me. This is not the first time this particular situation has occurred to me, so I wasn't too surprised.

Okay, maybe it wasn't actually an evil demon, but that does seem like a much more interesting explanation than "stress", which is the most likely culprit. This stress is coming from a number of sources, but the number one source that is only going to get worse, is the approach of licensing exams at the end of the summer. I suspect that I'm not alone in this, as many of my colleagues will endure it with me.

But, fear not, I have a plan. From today until the end of licensing exams, I'm going to think of one song that is guaranteed to make me smile, and post it, so that, hopefully, it can make others smile too. I'm not certain how many happy songs I have right now, but there is a chance this will force me to seek out new ones (by which I mean, feel free to send your favorites).

First song that is guaranteed to make me smile: Don't Stop Believing by Journey. Although in the past I complained about its lack of specificity, I've realized that might actually be another positive of the song. It allows the song to be used in many variable circumstances. You could be believing that you're in love, I mean, it's a little cliche, but acceptable. But you could also believe exciting things, like you're actually royalty, secretly stolen at birth and that some day they will find you and give you many many jewels. Or that someday, with the power of only your mind, you can learn to turn various household objects into spoons. Also, I often find my shadow is searching in the night. What it's looking for, I'm not sure. Maybe another shadow, or many many jewels.

No comments:

Post a Comment